In Malaysia, if you want to starting a Sole Proprietorship or Partnership, you may go to Suruhanhjaya Syarikat Malaysia (SSM) via “over-the-counter” transactions “to register your business.
Likewise, you can Self-registration of Business (ROB) via ezbiz Portal at SSM, it is quite, simple, quick and hassle free because you can accessing ezbiz Portal, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Business entity – Sole Proprietorship or Partnership
Business is defined as an enterprising entity engage in every form of trade, commerce, industrial, professional or other activity carried on for the purpose of gain, but does not include any office or employment or any charitable undertaking or any occupation specified in the Schedule of the Registration of Businesses Act 1956 (ROBA 1956) & ROBA Rules 1957.
EzBiz is an online business registration provided by SSM to allow user to do new registration, to register changes, to terminate and purchase business information.
Register a Sole Proprietorship/Partnership
The business owner must be a Malaysian Citizen or Permanent Resident of Malaysia and at least 18 years. Business Registration can be made for a period of one (1) year and not more than five (5) years.
There are two (2) types of businesses
- Sole proprietorship: That is owned and run by one person and in which there is no legal distinction between the owner and the business entity.
- Partnership: That is owned by two or more persons but not exceeding 20 persons.
How to start a business through online via ezbiz online portal at SSM
Step by step guide for register an ezbiz online user:-
- Go to ezbiz online to register
- Visit the nearest SSM office for ezbiz account activation.
- Upon ezbiz activated , Login and go to My Business Services > New Business Registration > New Business.
- Start to fill in Business Name, Business Start date, Registration period and Business address information.
- Next, fill in Business code in the Business Code Section.
- Then, fill in owner’s information in the Owners Section.
- Finally, in the Fees and Declaration Section to make payment and submit the declaration section.
You may be interested to read “How to register a company in Malaysia (ROC) with SSM. In this article, we explained in details register a company in Malaysia.